Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Finally someone takes a stand against them!

It's about time, darn it!

My mom forwarded this to me yesterday, and it's the best thing I've heard all day! Here is the background info.

Finally, the perfect solution to what should be the obvious problem (although you'll seldom hear it discussed, usually it's only about funding) faced by schools and their staff.

This is the message that the Maroochydore High School, Queensland, Australia staff voted unanimously to record on their school telephone answering machine. This is the actual answering machine message for the school.

This came about because they implemented a policy requiring students and parents to be responsible for their children's absences and missing homework. The school and teachers are being sued by parents who want their children's failing grades changed to passing grades - even though those children were absent 15-30 times during the semester and did not complete enough school work to pass their classes.


Click here to listen.

Their no-nonsense approach totally makes my day. If you like to make excuses for your child, pray that they never end up in my class, because I don't take excuses. I'm rather known for that. As a camp counselor, kids loved to complain to their parents about swim lessons and how they didn't want to do it. So parents would send in notes saying to excuse them. I was rather known for looking parents in the eye and replying, "I'm sorry but that is a required activity here whether they like it or not. If you would not like them to participate in swim lessons you may take them home and they need not return," and then handing back their note. Parents would then throw a temper tantrum just like the child and make more excuses. And I would just turn and walk away. I hate complainers.

No comments: